Sunday, October 7, 2007

Strengthening our voice

First of all, I wanted to thank everyone who came out to the SGA Crab Fest on Thursday. The event was a huge success, bringing almost 1,300 students together to share in a Maryland treasure in a historical venue. The outpouring of positive feedback was encouraging and I am confident that this event is now secure as an annual campus tradition.

I also wanted to thank all those students who registered to vote and helped us reach our target goal for new registrations. If those already registered can join the 1,064 new voters we registered, we can make a lasting impact on the City Council and on politics for years to come.

Speaking of shaping politics, we face a serious challenge to keep tuition down with the state's projected $1.7 billion structural budget deficit. I have been fighting for funding to various members of the state Legislature and two weeks ago I attended a town hall meeting where the Governor described his proposal to overcome the budget shortfall. Governor O'Malley's proposal, among other things, increases the state corporate tax by 1% and half of the projected revenue will go to higher education funding. It is important to realize that this is only around $50 million which makes up only a small fraction of the total state funding necessary for higher education. Yet, this down payment makes an important (and seemingly obvious) link between the corporate world and the higher education institutions that provide those businesses with trained and qualified talent. I intend to work to ensure that this proposal comes to fruition and I hope to have your help as I do. We have become and will continue to be a regular presence in Annapolis because we cannot afford to let our needs be ignored.

As always, don't hesitate to contact me with any questions, comments or concerns. I cannot advocate on your behalf if I don't know what you want me to fight for! Have a great week...

Best,
Andrew

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home